- Plan a big trip. – Ideally, International with bonus points for figuring out how to work at a new location.
- 100 stealth attempts – my core is stronger and I joined Nick Gray’s ab group
- Social media 3x per day – I’m giving myself three lifesavers to start the day and if I don’t have enough time for a life saver I don’t have enough time for social media
- Finish half of productivity planner journal
- Make meat a treat – I’m eating too much meat unnecessarily and want to have more of a plant based diet. It shouldn’t be an everyday thing
- Scout real estate investments
- Hype house progress – something I’m not yet public with but want to discuss with a friend.
- File taxes – before deadlines
- Streaming sales review
I’m moving to Jersey City in June and couldn’t be more excited. We are way ahead of the game having signed a lease three months in advance, bought a couch, and secured movers but there is still alot of work to be done. I need to purge/donate/giveaway much of the stuff that won’t be coming into the new apt.
- Recap – Crushed this. Moving was a tremendous amount of work. We used SvenMoving.com for the second time and couldn’t recommend them more highly. Packing took up most of May and unpacking we were done with about two weeks in. About one month in we are fully unpacked and starting to feel like we live in our new city.
Diet Coke reduction
I’m driving probably a minimum of 7 or so glasses a day and want to reduce this as I know it is not healthy and likely impacting my overall fitness goals. Replacing with more seltzer from my sodastream as well as coconut water and lemon juice. Aiming for 3-4 glasses a week. Writing this on April 10th so going to keep a log that lets me do 40x a month.
- Recap – Didn’t track but did well. Have been drinking way more ginger ale and seltzer which is a good step down. Working on drinking more water.
250 Stealth attempts
I failed on this last quarter and need a lower hurdle to crush. 5x a day is 400.
- Recap – didn’t track but I would say i did about 100. Now that it is in my second bedroom it will be easier to stay on top of. Also joined a 1 minute plank per day whatsapp group.
Target consulting specialization
I’m at the point of my consulting career where I need to develop a view on what I want to specialize so i avoid becoming a generalist and am able to take more leadership roles moving forward. Project Management is a strong skill of mine but needs to be paired with something more narrow. We are growing our merger integration and transition practice so I will dive deeper in this area. Also by summer I expect my engagement to end so i will need to find a new project
- Recap – Made some headway on this. Had a great chat with my counselor about this about being more focused on a skillset and less about an industry which will give me a broader toolbelt of skills to pull from for different engagements.
Draft and publish EMS Post
Already have the outline just need to put to paper, get copy edited and then publish through my various social channels
- Recap – Drafted but didn’t publish
Redirect social media effort to LinkedIn by limiting Instagram and Twitter
- Recap – good not great.
Habits to work on
- Stop emailing myself – if it is important it goes on the calendar
- Use sent folder as homebox not inbox – i find myself getting distracted by my inbox and being reactive instead of proactive
- Hit 150g+ protein – I am not losing weight becaus I’m working out a ton and not getting enough protein.
Recap – did all the above want to double down
- Double wedding weekend
- Moving to JC
I sit here having tested positive for covid-19 last night which feels like a fitting end to 2021. My hope is 2022 will be what 2020 should have been for everyone
Draft Case for Manager
In the coming year, I will be up for promotion to Manager at EY, and part of the journey is not just showing why I deserve it but also how the business will be better suited with me in an elevated role. Tactically this means I make a written case and then discuss it with leadership. I feel I am already performing at this level so feel confident about my chances. Ultimately it will partially come down to the number of seats our unit is allocated. If its 4 I have a strong chance if 2 it is unlikely. I won’t learn about the decision until spring / summer but the prep work is Jan – march.
- Recap: Completed well ahead of schedule. I am noticing a subtle balance between being a workhorse and a show horse. There are folks whose work do a bunch of work but don’t let people know about it and then the exact opposite. So to that point I made a one page sell sheet as opposed to the multi page decks that I have seen.
I want to focus more on processes and habits and less on direct goals. My hope is if I can build a better process around how i manage my life and goals everything else will fall into place. I’m tracking across 5 dimensions: meditation, exercise, logging food, personal progress before work, and journaling and only using social media once a day. Given how ingrained work from home is the only thing stopping me from doing this is me mentally making the space at the start / end of my work day
- Recap: Did this for 6 weeks and realized it was more of a hindrance than a catalyst. I was mostly good with the habits but the takeaway is I need just bring back journaling that was affected earlier even if it wasn’t digital.
Two Blog posts
Content has not been a priority for me for a while. I just hired someone to help me push out a few blog posts that are on my queue
- Posted one and started outlining another. Need to leverage my VA more to help me with this.
Not To Do List
I wouldn’t quite call them bad habits but I want to be more intentional with how i use my time. Too granular to track but I want to focus on stopping these in the coming quarter
- Emailing myself reminders – I think of something and then shove it into my inbox to be used later. When its in my inbox it inevitably gets snoozed till later and later and becomes a thorn in my side. Instead I want to add these things to my calendar even if they are months or weeks out. Less processing power needed
- I cut this down a ton and this is a good reminder. If it is important enough it goes on the calendar instead of living in the inbox.
- No social media in bed – I find myself going into scrolling loops before bed and after I wake up. It is not great.
- 6/10. Was good with separation at the start of the quarter but want to get better
- Keep my phone in a separate room for most of the day – Similarly to social media my phone takes up too much of my time and attention. Part of the problem is i need it for 2FA for certain work things. I have set it up so my favorites will ring through so i will be accessible in an emergency
- Same as above
- Going to Charleston for Katherine’s birthday and to live southern charm life
- Bachelor party
- Finding an apartment and signing a lease and buying a couch 3 months ahead of schedule
I want to focus more on habits and processes and less on the personal and professional dichotomy. Strong habits and foundations will ripple over that imaginary line in the sand.
30+ days during the workweek with progress before walking into the office
Often I get up only a few minutes before my first meeting in the morning and I want to make more space to have a more intentional morning and start to my day off on the right foot. This will become increasingly important as remote work takes over the world. I want to make progress on a personal goal before signing in during the work week. This can include fitness, reading, writing, personal development or anything that moves my life forward.
55+ days journaling
I used to have a healthy habit of bookending my day with journaling and want to get back to that. I dislike writing things by hand but love catching memories. It often takes me 5-10 minutes and is a delightful breather or moment to review
55+ days meditation
I live a pretty fast paced life and a few of my close friends continually nudge me to get deeper into meditation. The longest streak I’ve had is 5 days and I remember a noticeable improvement in my psyche
55+ days no social media until noon
Social media has been a huge boon to my personal and professional life but I am not being intentional about it. I find myself sucked into a Twitter or Instagram hole when I find myself with a few spare minutes and that is far from a healthy habit. When I am in my apartment I have an orange handheld counter that I will try to track each time I grab for my phone
1000+ stealth attempts
I bought this toy for my basement during quarantine and have fallen off. Going to an OTF class takes 90 minutes which is a big chunk of time. I can easily squeeze a workout in during lunch or before or after work. ~15 per day
Draft hiring is broken blog post
This always falls to the back burner due to other things but I need to make an effort here to invest time. Every single person I know who writes publicly either personally or professionally has seen benefits independent of how much exposure it gets. One blog post is very reaslisitc
Complete 45 Orange Theory Classes
I am so happy that I reactivated my Orange Theory fitness membership. While I was certainly active during the pandemic I missed the thrill of an in-person training session or class. Thanks to their stellar cleaning and safety regimen I felt comfortable going back at the middle of the last month and I am so happy that I did.
- Definitely hit this. Thinking about pausing and doing GymPass or joining Equinox but will likely do that fall or winter.
Continue logging food I eat
Last quarter I was really on top of this and want to continue this into the spring and beyond. I’ve established a habit of writing out a meal plan for the week. I’m more interested in eating healthy and less interested in following a specific diet or fad. I want to have a loose goal of hitting 30g fiber and 200g protein per day.
- I think I logged easily 80% of my days with days off for bachelor parties and weddings
Publish “Hiring is Broken” blog post
I’ve been self-employed, unemployed, W-2 employed, 10-99 “employed” and for a time invested in recruitment technology as well as have had multiple career coaches as clients. I’m really interested in where hiring and talent acquisition are going and want to put down some thoughts.
- Nope! Didn’t even draft it. Will move to Q2
Hit 17% body fat
I’ve had the somewhat vain goal of a flat stomach or visible abs for a while now and feel closer than ever. This would mean dropping 1% per month which feels achievable given the pace I’m on.
- Nope. Still happy with the pace I am on but vanity will take longer to achieve than I had planned which is probably some level of a reason to not chase it anyway.
Onboard to EY
I am so elated for this chapter in my professional career. EY is one of the leading professional services firms and has a view of the marketplace unlike any other. I chose EY as it has a good balance of both high standards and vision as well as respect for work life balance. At the time of writing, I am one week into onboarding and am consistently impressed with the depth and breadth of the firm. My one-year goal is to make an impact in every department of the business: recruiting, sales, marketing, client service, innovation and of course operations. It is hard to have a SMART goal around this but being solely focused on one thing has served me well in the past.
- Yes absolutely. After 3 months of employment, I feel like I have transitioned successfully from new hire to a fully onboard employee. I am very impressed with the onboarding process in a remote/pandemic environment. EY is the first stop of my career that feels like a career not a job and I will be happy to stay here for many years.
- met my girlfriend and very much enjoying being in a long-term relationship
- starting actual client work at EY as well as recruiting and other efforts for my group
- started seeing nuggets of evidence that life is coming back post corona. Went to standup shows and other small gatherings
- solved my housing problem by almost moving but finding someone new to come into my apartment till end of year. Big weight off my shoulders
- two bachelor parties and two in-person and one virtual wedding
- celebrated my birthday on Roosevelt island
- traveled to Durham to see newly engaged friends