2023 Q3 Outlook
I’m in the middle of Scott Adam’s “How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big” and this passage really spoke to me
“Goal-oriented people exist in a state of continuous presuccess failure at best, and permanent failure at worst if things never work out. Systems people succeed every time they apply their systems, in the sense that they did what they intended to do. The goals people are fighting the feeling of discouragement at each turn. The systems people are feeling good every time they apply their system. That’s a big difference in terms of maintaining your personal energy in the right direction.”
This made me realize I tend to pursue goals in a binary success/fail pattern when really I should be more systematic and assess trending on a longer timeframe not a binary focus. Trying to bring that energy into this quarter where possible.
- Finish planning my proposal to my gf – What a blessing to be at this stage of life that I thought would never come. Never want to lose sight of that. I would say i am probably 75% to 80% done with this just a few loose ends to tie up. Certainly more binary than systems but a once in a lifetime opportunity.
- Confirm transfer with successful offboarding and onboarding – I have a very exciting opportunity that may come my way at EY. Its the opportunity to work with a group I’ve had my eye on for two years. Still paperwork and approvals needed but cautiously optimistic this will be my next move within the firm. Systematically i want to work the transition into my workstream with the same respect and diligence that other items on my to do list will have
- Do something for myself in the AM – Lately I have been waking up and diving right into screens and work and emails. Want to be more intentional with how i start my mornings and include outdoor exposure, exercise and personal development items.
- Tea and journaling at night – Want this to become my last part of the day before closing my eyes
- Directional progress on tracking food – I fell off with this in 2023 and noticed i was more mindful of food when i put it into fitbit.
- Consistent stretching effort – My mobility and flexibility have definitely regressed a bit in the past year due to injury, tightness and being at a desk most of the day. I am attacking this from all angles: Physical Therapy, Acupuncture, Stretching regimen and more. Also need to spend more time at my standing desk as sitting down all day tends to lock me up.
- Ab exercises after meetings and standing desk usuage – My core is really week. If i can make the habit or system of a quick ab exercise at the end of the meeting I will be significantly. Add that ontop of walking at my standing desk when possible will both be a huge boon to my physical fitness.
- Thrive during weddingpalooza – I believe we are fully booked every weekend through mid october mostly with wedding type events. I’ve noticed when I travel a bunch I lose space for personal time